PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2019, 18:33
Lost in Saigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MemberBerry
They trimmed the wrong way not "to see what happens", but to replicate MCAS trimming the wrong way, because electric trim can't trim nose down so much with the flaps up, as MCAS can.

At the end they tried to trim THE CORRECT WAY, but even with the trim at just 2.4 units from full nose down it was almost impossible for one person.

I don't understand why you are not worried. Is it because you believe it will be much easier on a real aircraft in the same situation? If that's the reason, what is the basis for your belief?
In the video they spent far too long fighting the control forces before attempting to operate the trim cutout switches. Maybe they were trying to represent the lowest common denominator in pilot skill? MCAS does not operate if the pilot toggles the trim switch so they should have been able to operate the trim cutout switches before the aerodynamic load became excessive. "Should Have" is important but we'll have to wait for the full report to find out why they didn't.

I have no idea whether or not it would be easier in a real aircraft. I just don't trust that a simulator can accurately reproduce what actually happens. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has actually experienced excessive airloading of the stabilizer trim in a B737.