PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sim Checks - Horror Stories?
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2019, 09:59
SoFarFromHome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by josephfeatherweight
Recurrent sim in small-ish bizjet. Takeoff on 12000' runway - TODR is approx 3500'. Attempt to rotate at VR to find elevator is jammed. Abort the takeoff and come to comfortable stop with at least 6000' remaining.
Sim examiner: "Are you allowed to abort after V1?"
Me: "If the aircraft doesn't fly, and I'm on a 12,000' runway, I don't go flying."
Sim examiner: "You should have rotated using the stab trim and conducted the "stuck elevator" checklist airborne."
Me: "We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one - how does that sound?"

Absolutely ridiculous!!

You are within your rights to modify or change any existing procedure or checklist as you see fit in an emergency, by stopping you just averted one.

In the aircraft I fly, a valuable discussion was had about V1 based on different flap settings.

For example, a flap 0 departure has a v1 about 10ktsi faster than a typical flap setting for departure.

if I had an engine failure or safety of flight, would I not stop safely on runway remaining having aborted above one V1, but below the higher V1 for a flap 0 departure.... of course I would.

I would have done the same as you, there’s not really much else you can do!