PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southern California fires spreading rapidly (Firefighting photographs)
Old 28th Oct 2003, 16:32
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NBC-San Diego

San Diego
is suffering particularly badly, overwhelmed local firefighters not knowing if or when they will get any help. Firecrews were supported by only nine airplanes and one helicopter Sunday.

Many of the county's resources had been called to San Bernardino and Los Angeles counties last week to fight big wildfires raging in those areas. Under the CDF's mutual assistance system, those resources cannot be released back to San Diego until they are no longer needed.

State officials have designated the San Diego fires the most important in the state, he said. Fire crews and air tankers will be sent here as soon as they become available, but that probably won't happen Monday, Bowman (San Diego Fire Chief) said.

When asked for a containment estimate, Bowman said, "The only place you could say there is containment is where the fire has already burned." "Our hope is that the winds stay down," Bowman said. "If the winds kick up, there's no telling what's going to happen."

--------------------

The California fires seem to have been started by arsonists. New fires were sparked when embers were blown by fierce Santa Ana winds, with gusts up to 70 mph.

Bert
The developers meet the demand. I can't criticise that - if I had my time over, I'd be living there not here. Southern California is the nearest I've found to the perfect place to live, and San Diego is the jewel in the crown.

San Diego pictures
It couldn't have happened at a worse time of year for San Diego, they haven't had any measurable rain for about six months.

Scripps Ranch development

Traffic and fire on the I-15

East County (not one of the expensive areas)

======================

Firefighting in LA (120+ miles N of San Diego)

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 28th Oct 2003 at 17:34.