PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2019, 18:13
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by positiverate20
Any reduction in power would have created a significant AND moment. The longitudinal acceleration was positive throughout- right up until the final MCAS AND. (0.1g at end equivilant to 0-60mph/0-100kmh in 27seconds.) The actual acceleration provided by thrust would need to be calculated using both vertical (above 1g) and longitudinal (above 0g) acceleration data.

That thrust moment of the engines coupled with the aerodynamics of the engine cowling was in fact assisting them with pitch (and would do so up until VH) The fact that it also masked the true trim when they initially cut it out is possibly the reason why they didn't attempt manual trim wheel as soon as cut outs were flicked.
Can any B737 pilot tell me how significant the AND is from reducing the thrust from T/O power (in this case I believe it was at 94% N1), to a power setting giving 210kts F5 and 250 kts Fup at 10.000' ?
I fly brand A, so I have no idea, but an answer in units or seconds of thumb trim input would be helpful. The cowling wasn't helping, as I am sure most of the cowling was below the CG at the AOA they were flying,( it only provides an ANU moment at very high AOA)

Also, I have a hard time believing they left the power at full on purpose, as I read they set a lower altitude and speed in the window, presumably expecting the AT to reduce power.