PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 21:16
737mgm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Water pilot
As as been pointed out many times, the first officer was fairly inexperienced. So imagine that you are an experienced captain in a plane on takeoff that has a fault which you have never seen before. How quickly would you hand your life over to the greenhorn?
Being a Captain on the 737 myself, I can tell you, I would hand over control to the green horn immediately in that situation. First of all, because it doesn't make sense for me to fly the airplane if it is very likely that -based on the stick shaker on my side- that my instruments are not reliable. Secondly there is no reason for me to assume that the FO is not capable of flying the airplane on a normal climb out as long as his instruments work fine (let's not start the discussion about low hour pilots, this is normal in most parts of the world and works fine).
Another very important reason is that I am probably going to gain much greater situational awareness if I become the pilot monitoring as I can concentrate on getting a grip on the situation instead of concentrating on flying the airplane.