PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 19:38
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GarageYears
Later two very short pickle switch inputs NU were input indicating the crew re-engaged the electric trim, but they were very short and had a very small effect on trim.
I am struggling to see any effect, and I didn't see any other indication in the report that the crew re-engaged.

I suspect that cutout switch position is not directly recorded and has to be inferred, possibly this is where the rumours of disagreements and CVR reading problems originate from - maybe there are sounds or speech on the CVR that could indicate re-engagement but it isn't definite, or agreed. Any reference to the disputed sounds may then have been excised from the report.

5 seconds later MCAS, having been reset by the crew electric trim input, and now being active again, ran for less than 10 seconds and seems to have been interrupted by the Left AOA value changing.
This MCAS signal got through, which some will take as proving the switch position was changed, there is so much else going wrong not sure I would agree (that it is proven). Also, this still doesn't look right per the descriptions we've had:
- MCAS is supposed to have less authority at higher speed (maybe that's it, it is shorter input?)
- If AOA reduces then MCAS is apparently supposed to put the trim back up, if no pilot trim input - yet there isn't and it doesn't