PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 11:57
Fortissimo

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm sorry, but this is a complete hose job by the Ethiopian CAA authority (which has an annual budget of $89,000) and Ethiopian Airlines. "We did everything perfectly". Well RELEASE THE REPORT. Turning MCAS back on 4 times is not following the AD or the standard trim procedure. They're laying all the blame on Boeing, and then once 18,000 news articles have repeated that, they'll release the report tomorrow. Absolute crap.
I don't think you can point the finger at the Ethiopian CAA here, as they appear to have had control seized by the Govt so the choice of timing is probably not down to the investigators . A UK colleague who flew with the ET302 captain told me he was a very competent operator, but I think many of us could be caught out by the effort required to manual trim at higher speeds and with a significant stick forces involved as well. He may well have opted to try further electric trim inputs to try to manage a situation that only 2 other crews had faced, but that is speculation. We won't know exactly what he was dealing with until the final report is released, when perhaps we will have proper FDR and CVR information to speculate with.

And as for the Ethiopians laying all the blame on Boeing, could someone remind me which manufacturer produced an aircraft that was vulnerable to a catastrophic outcome from a single point of failure and which has been grounded across the globe because, pending modification, the design is currently viewed by regulators as being unsafe?