PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 11:50
fotoguzzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quentinc
Yes... but as we know now, the MCAS system will keep cutting in... So the pilot reaches (4) in the check list. That step is clear... operate the the CUTOUT... If already trimmed down and speed a little high, the pilot is now in a very dangerous position. All following the FAA AD and Boeing check list.
(Still not a pilot) Thanks. It is understandable that one would not want to remove his hands from the yoke. MCAS seems to give five seconds after the last electric trim, and I presume it does not operate while the trim switch operates. My contention is that if they are reading ahead, they know some cranking is coming, and would naturally trim before cutout. That is, one argument is that MCAS trims faster than the trim switch can, but (unless I am wrong) MCAS will give you as much time as needed to trim before it tries to undo your work.

At what point the combination of nose down and overspeed makes hand cranking unreasonable (or makes even the idea of letting go of the yoke unreasonable), seems yet unclear. The penultimate Indonesian flight continued to destination while the Ethiopian flight lasted minutes.