PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 22:18
jagema

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fgrieu
I'm inclined to believe that central cutout switches have authority over MCAS, but control column trim switches do not
This is correct except that it's the control column cutout switches that do not have authority.

Originally Posted by ecto1
The only ongoing debate now is (and as far as I know, there is no consensus yet but there will be soon) if you were slow with your thumb and got to a point in which you need a lot of pull to remain level, your control column "extreme deflection" trim cutout switches may inhibit your trim inputs and then (possibly) MCAS wins by lack of opposition.
There is a forward and an aft control column cutout switch. Enough movement of the control column in either direction opens the circuit, creating a discontinuity and disallowing trim in the direction of column deflection (ie. You cannot trim up while pushing down) unless STAB TRIM OVRD switch is in OVRD. I guess you refer to the cutout switches installed in the column when speaking of "extreme deflection trim cutout switches". Schematic for clarity.

B737 Trim

edit: this is the schematic for the NG. The MAX introduced changed to the pedestal cutout switches, renamed PRI and B/U respectively.

Last edited by jagema; 3rd Apr 2019 at 22:48.