PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows to move from RAF Scampton to one of three sites
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 13:16
Martin the Martian

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
I think I may have the answer.

B site at Culdrose is undergoing refurbishment and the plan is for 736 NAS to move across to it with their Hawks. Perhaps the Reds could move there instead. B site is on the other side of the airfield from the rest of the flying units and is adjacent to the public viewing enclosure. Furthermore, if the Reds would like a separate entrance, then use could be made of the large entrance next to the public car park, which would allow direct entrance to what could be termed the RAF Culdrose enclave. Practice flights could be held over Predannack (Culdrose's satellite airfield) which, as it is on the Lizard peninsula, is a long way from any civilisation anyway. Of course, fuel costs would increase as long transits would have to be made to anywhere else in the UK to display but, looking at the just published 2019 schedule, the team seems to have an aversion to displaying anywhere north of Cosford anyway.

By the way, only 39 public displays this year, including the North America tour? I guess that is how the team is being affected by squeezing defence expenditure.