PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 06:02
ferry pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 73qanda

I don’t want to agree with you. Hopefully you’re incorrect.
At the moment the regulator mandates that I get 8 hours of simulator time p/a. In reality it’s more like 16 because the pilot I am teamed up with also needs 8 hours. We complete this over two checks held six months apart. If the regulator mandated that I need 12 hours, and the extra four hours had to be sans automation and both high level and circuit work, the difference in my handling skills and confidence as a pilot would be significant. The cost would easily be passed onto the flying public and would effect all operators equally.
With all the cosy relationships between Airlines and regulators and manufactureres globally I won’t hold my breath but it would go a long way to making our Industry safer for very little cost.
This is one situation that would benefit from some autocratic leadership and hang the corporate consequences......anyone know a leader like that?
Edited to add; A ‘bad outcome’ from the Max saga would be that Boeing tinker with their software and manage their corporate relationships to get the aircraft flying again.
A ‘good outcome’ to the saga would be if pilots around the world became more competent through mandated automation-free sim time that is in addition to the current requirements.
There is nothing I would like more than to see those with your attitude get what you want, even if I disagree.. Check out my last 2972 post and you will see why I feel the need for a different approach.