PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 15:05
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cows getting bigger
Icarus, did you miss the lesson on Safety Management or were you too busy polishing your Ray-Bans?

I'll try and keep this simple. $120m aircraft has a single point of failure (AOA vane) that will subsequently cause HAL to become suicidal. The ONLY layer of safety in place now is Biggles and Biggles Minor who are expected to treat that failure with the flick of a switch. At this point any sensible person in our industry will already be sucking their teeth at the risks and lack of inherent safety protections. But this one gets better because Biggles didn't even know about the existence of this failure mode or how to resolve it (flick the switch). Nothing in his QRH/AFM, no training, nyada. For sure, there's something called a trim runaway but he's not sure this is a runaway because it's stopping.......... thump.

Perhaps Biggles could have done better. I'm pretty sure Boeing could have done far better.
Well Biggles may not understand what to do - but Ginger has read about the problems and learned that a UAS with all the bells and whistles in the cockpit on takeoff was one of the first indications of a problem that could lead to a crash and that either not fully raising flap or switching off the Stab Trim would prevent the issue. So he turned down Biggles' offer of the weight training courses and went instead for switching off Stab Trim as first action on a UAS or if it was immediately on take off just leave some flap down as this was what was in the ACs/ADs that Biggles was using as a coffee mat.