PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 10:46
TryingToLearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 737mgm
Nose down trimming of the MCAS several times as I mentioned, which shows they were able to do it. The question is why did they stop. News reports suggest that the Captain was pilot flying at first. After a while he handed control to the first officer who then did not counter the MCAS induced nose down trimming sufficiently ( information cannot be verified though).
Are you sure they were still able to?
If the forces on TRIM are that high that even Boeing mentions one may be forced to do it manually because the TRIM motor ist not powerful enough, why do you assume that it is capable of going back&forth unter max. load all the time?
Would be interesting to know if the flight recorder is recording the manual TRIM command or the actual movement of the motor after overheat etc.
Also, at the end of the recording, it seems to me that the trim position does not longer correlate with the commands, but this is hard to recognize in this one plot.

Is it otherwise possible that the pilot handed control BECAUSE his TRIM commands were no longer compensating MCAS sufficiently?
As far as I understood there are increasing forces with speed which help the motor to trim down as commanded by MCAS but could maybe block/overheat the motor trimming up.