PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 09:33
CaptainSAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say yes. But they have not forgotten, They have just been taught not how to do it on the particular model they are flying. The current generation of "computer pilots" only use the computers as far as they are taught to do so. I had a "guru" come and sort out my communications systems on the ship I was running, and It took him 3 days of "trial and error" to fix the faults in the system... and he was the guy that designed the system..! If Boeing software engineers are going to take 2 months to analyse and then generate a software fix, then how do us mere mortals that actually know how to fly planes get to learn how to disable the system or modify or fix it in flight..? I actually welcomed computers onto my bridge to help us to pilot the ships, but increasingly we are only operators and the computers are controlling us. Increasingly, we are limited as to what kind of access we can get to setup menus and and excluded from interrogating the computers or turning them off, when we sense that something is wrong.