PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 09:14
737mgm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 73qanda

“In the way that comes natural”..... I thought maximum use of automation was the call of the decade? Hand flying now days often takes significant cognitive effort because of the automation policies in place at most Airlines, and that’s without contradictory information being presented.
“that they were trained for.......”. .I suspect we are going to find out that the training received to transition to the Max was insufficient.
It may very well be that the pilots were used to relying on automation and I have thought of that being an issue as well. However, being able to maintain a certain pitch attitude and trimming out the forces felt as one is doing that... are you suggesting pilots have even forgotten to do that?

Furthermore they did counter the nose down trimming of the MCAS several times as I mentioned, which shows they were able to do it. The question is why did they stop. News reports suggest that the Captain was pilot flying at first. After a while he handed control to the first officer who then did not counter the MCAS induced nose down trimming sufficiently ( information cannot be verified though).

About the training aspect: airspeed unreliable memory items and stab trim runaway memory items aply to the 737 Classic and NG just like they do to the 737 MAX. I don't see how transition training has anything to do with it.