PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2019, 12:38
meleagertoo

Received 136 Likes on 65 Posts
There's national pride and reputations at stake here, and I don't mean in the US. Boeing are big enough to take whatever's coming on the chin an deal with it. Are Ethiopian/Ethiopian government?
As ever the two accidents will almost certainly come down to a relatively benign aircraft failure getting out of hand due to faulty human factors.

How did the ET pilots fail to recognise a failure that must heve been just about the sole topic of conversation in the crew room for the previous few weeks, analysed and discussed to death by everyone on the fleet? One that Boeing had published to all MAX operators with extreme urgency?`
What action did the ET training department take over it?
Surely that advice was passed on to the line pilots? If so how can it not have taken root? ...or was it?
Was the crew experience-mix even remotely suitable? Was it compatible with published company policy?

The facts from the recorders must have been known to and publishable by the authorities for a couple of weeks now - this delay is beginning to look like unwillingness to publish, not inabiity.

At this stage one can only surmise the whys and wherefores, but chances are there's stuff in there that the publisher either doesn't want publishing or hasn't included when the other interested parties believe it should be.
And that ain't good for the whole point of flight safety.

Ethiopia would do well to ensure total transparency here to reassure the rest of the world that they posess a responsible safety culture. Failure to do so will far outweigh any temporary saving of face if they do otherwise.
Sadly, having spent some time in the country I'm not holding my breath that face-saving won't turn out to be the order of the day, and some 'in charge' Colonel telling us they'll do it their way is hardly reassuring.