PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Quick "poll" if you have a moment. Much appreciated
Old 30th Mar 2019, 21:48
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Back when I were but a boy, the old DCA was known as the Department of Constant Aggravation. They placed some extra demands on operators even then, like requiring every light aircraft to have a Flight Manual done to their format. A manufacturer POH was not good enough. Also their own P charts to add fudge factors to takeoff and landing numbers.
But, we could live with them.
FOIs were active in doing ramp checks and would jump aboard occasionally to run surveillance on flying activities. If you were caught a bit overloaded (as we often were) you would be hauled in for tea and bickies then sent on your way.
Once I landed an Aztec on a dirt road out in the scrub because I was caught short by the previous night’s curry. A diligent Flight Service Officer working HF radio figured out that I was nowhere near any airstrip and dobbed me in.
Hauled in for more tea and bickies. The FOI held my licence over a shredder while asking me several questions on what constituted an Authorised Landing Area.
At least they had a sense of humour.