PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greatest British (post WW2) miltary pilot
Old 28th Oct 2003, 00:01
SixOfTheBest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd nominate Flt Lt Charles 'Charlie' Charles. A legend in his own lunchtime, the young whip first saw service in the RAF at the end of the second world war. At a strapping 4 feet 9 inches tall, he made the lasses tremble at the knees. Logging 769 kills in the last year of the war, he was a bulwark amongst men (and ladies apparently). Perhaps more legendary were his mess antics. On one wintry night he got lashed up on Pimms and Tonic, ran down to Dover, swam across the channel, evaded the gerries all the way to the eagles nest, broke in and painted a comedy black square on the fuhrers top lip while he slept. By all accounts, AH was so chuffed he left it on (though the SDO at the Eagles Nest was shot). Perhaps CCC's greatest feats (but little known) were shortly after the war. He taught Chuck Y how to progessively adjust the attitude and trim, Robin Olds how to calculate Bingo fuel and Sharkey Ward how to integrate with other squadrons. He singlehandedly sorted out the Cuban missile crisis by allegedly sending each of the leaders a picture of Adolf with the message 'Sort it out, or C cubed is comin to get ya', was the first man on the moon (the original broadcast message did in fact say, 'This is one large step for me (4 feet tall) and an even bigger one for Blightey') and, shortly before his demise, discovered Australia. So, I nominate the above for being a top bloke.

SOTB