PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2019, 23:15
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbine70
I guess there's not much on here that hasn't already been written.

"Runaway stab" was the real problem and isn't normally accompanied by all the other indications and certainly isn't trained that way. Nor did it start until after clean up.

I think the correct question is how did two professionally trained crews fly it into the ground?

While agreeing with you the correct response, and perhaps many crews would find it, I don't find clean up and climb obviously unintuitive.

Perhaps the nuts and bolts of this is why was a reasonably intuitive response so dangerous?
My highlight.
Sim training in some places seems from comments here to be very samey. So the expectations of the people writing the NNC and the trained reactions of the crews have diverged significantly.

The designers obviously felt that the worse thing to happen would be a crew switching stab trim off in the highly unlikely event that the AoA failed (they probably checked failure rates in NGs). Seems that for some crews switching stab trim off is very unlikely even when the trim is motoring way down and making things uncomfortably heavy and for some reason the AoA vanes have a lot higher failure rate in the Max.