PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2019, 21:13
pilot9250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobM2
No, not wrong focus. Nobody is advocating RTO above Vr unless unlimited runway is available. A faulty AOA could give a stick shaker on take-off rotation in any airplane whether it has MCAS or not. The point I am trying to make is if the airplane is climbing & accelerating normally & stick shaker is on one side only, it is an AOA failure & not a valid stall warning. The correct response to this is to return & land the airplane. Get it fixed! You don't accelerate, clean up the flaps & try to continue the flight with an active stick shaker as Lion Air did on two occasions, only one of which was successful (barely).
I guess there's not much on here that hasn't already been written.

"Runaway stab" was the real problem and isn't normally accompanied by all the other indications and certainly isn't trained that way. Nor did it start until after clean up and certainly wasn't visible at Vr.

I think the correct question is how did two professionally trained crews fly it into the ground?

While agreeing with you the best response, and perhaps many crews would find it, I don't find clean up and climb obviously unintuitive.

Perhaps the nuts and bolts of this is why was a reasonable intuitive response so dangerous?

Last edited by pilot9250; 28th Mar 2019 at 23:35.