PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2019, 01:07
Capn Bloggs

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Takwis
You could (and I have) pull the stick slowly back into your lap, full aft, and the plane would maintain a nose up attitude, but descend at greater than 12,000 fpm. That was fine at 30,000 feet, in a MOA, but not optimal on approach. So an AOA indicator was fitted, not on the instrument panel, but on top of the dash, right in your line of sight when looking at the runway. The data was simplified...on airspeed, a green donut. Too fast, a yellow chevron indicating you needed to slow down, too slow, a red chevron indicating you had better increase your airspeed, and mind your sink rate. The instrument was absolutely essential to flying the T-38 well
That's what airspeed indicators are for. In my previous life on fighters, we only used the "AOA" indicator (traffic light system) for manoeuvring limits. We used IAS for takeoff, approach and landing.

I agree with Harry. An AOA indicator may be useful in a UAS situation (provided of course you can verify it/which one is correct) but in the 737 Max crashes, would have been of limited or no value.