PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New RAF TV advert for women
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2019, 00:10
Donkey9871

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Training Risky
Just saw this rubbish on TV:

https://www.forces.net/services/raf/...types-screened

AVM Chris Elliot, hang your head in shame. I didn’t know we were setting quotas now.

In a country where applicants are being turned away from Police forces for being white men. What’s next...?
The RAF began setting quotas in the early 90s. Remember the ethnic origins survey that was supposedly anonymous? I do! Mine went back indicating that I was a black, female, (and by using the "other" option) one parent family with a strange affinity for large aquatic mammals and strong views on nuclear disarmament, much to the amusement of my colleagues and I. In the subsequent interview with the Chf Clk, who pointed out, had I failed to notice, that I was (and still am) a male caucasian, he revealed that the bar code on the back of the form contained my service number. My, how we both chuckled (not) as he supervised my completion of my "voluntary" resubmission of the form.

It is also worthy of note that the RAF Apprenticeship scheme, many years later, recieved an OFSTED rating of "satisfactory" (ie less than good) because of the lack of ethnic diversity in the schemes, despite the level of health and pastoral care etc provided by the service that will never be met by other apprenticeship providers. OFSTED refused to accept that certain minorities do not view military service as a prime option when it comes to career choice (a fact) and became somewhat aggitated when it was suggested (lightheartedly) that those minorities be subject to enforced recruitment in order to meet their unrealistec targets.

The military is a case apart and will, for numerous reasons, never be as diverse as society at large, especially not in a cosmopolitan society like the UK. Unfortunately, society (particularly the political correctionousness police) [yes, correctionousness it is a word, I just typed it, so there!] cannot get it's tiny little mind around that concept and therefore the powers that be are forced to attempt to comply with the dictats of sociocorrect buffoons, which leaves them open to criticism of this nature.

Vive le Diference!