PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2019, 23:44
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
I know there have been several posts regarding the display of AoA, but with no disrespect for the potential usefulness of the parameter, I seriously doubt its safety benefit for the 737 MCAS scenarios.

It would be good to understand the current flight deck context. Display of AoA, itself, is not a required element of flight information, per the certification regulations and never has been. Further, I doubt that even those airlines which opted to have AoA (i.e., "normalized" AoA) displayed have adopted any flight deck procedures for its use, at least nothing stronger than "you may cross check it". So, what would motivate pilots to pay significant attention to it? Hence, except perhaps for a few former Navy and Marine pilots, I doubt the AoA display even enters the most pilots' instrument scan.

I won't argue that things are the way they should be, but there would be a lot of procedural inertia to overcome to achieve safety benefits from the display of AoA. If this change is attempted, I would suggest a far more prominent display of AoA than is found in current transport aircraft flight decks.