PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2019, 20:54
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

The problem, Berg, is that the MCAS acts upon AoA because of the aero requirements of the certification. Airspeed , actually Mach, only influences degree of trim. So you can have MCAS trimming you as long as flaps are up, and the intent was for it to help at other than approach speeds or right after takeoff.

PJ. and I and others here went thru this with AF447 a century ago. With all the crapola about MCAS, last thing I want is something new that could confuse the crew, take up space on a display or..... I still like AoA indication for approach/landing. I feel the pilots here know how AoA affects lottsa things and the basic lift equation and induced drag and so forth. But for others, go over to Tech Log and we can talk.

We need one of the 40 second sim pilots to contribute here. Know any? My guess is they demonstrated a scenario that had no pilot trim inputs Nd let the system rip! So add the times and it is 40 seconds. If you do not reduce power, you wind up in a very bad corner of the envelope.

Gums sends...