PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2019, 17:35
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsieker
I am saying no such thing, and it is also irrelevant. I have said all I have to say on this, and I am sorry if you are still missing the point.

The offending sentence in my original post was perhaps a mistake. Since it added no content, I have removed it.

Bernd

P. S. be careful to retain the closing quote bracket, or the forum software will mess up the formatting.
Ok Bseiker, I will be careful and thanks. I thought that you imagined from my comments that I was not a pilot. And I think it is relevant whether a contributor is an airline pilot of just someone asking questions.
I have flown the 737 aircraft many times in manual reversion (no power at all - nothing but a 24 v battery) and in manual trim mode - STAB SWITCHES OFF. In the older days when we did not have a good simulator, we had to do runaway stabilisers on the real plane with a training captain hitting the AND (airplane nose down) button and holding it there until you reacted - and that sometimes was a long time - maybe 10 -15 seconds. I am not sure that too many of our readers have actually done any of this stuff for real - but that doesn't make their commentary any less valuable. I find all of this commentary valuable even though I don't agree with a all of it - I certainly know more about algorithms than I did two weeks ago. It is just that I think the human brain is better at these things than most automation - hence autopilots not being able to land in seriously bad windy weather. Or make decisions when the data coming in doesn't compute - AF 447 sort of scenario and we know what happened there.