PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Quick "poll" if you have a moment. Much appreciated
Old 27th Mar 2019, 09:37
Slatye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mostlytossas
Unless this has just come into effect ,something doesn't sound correct here. As 90% of the single engine GA fleet wouldn't have 2 red strobes. What they have is usually 1 red beacon (a flashing red lamp not strobe) on the fin or top of the fuselage. Some aircraft also have white strobes on the wing tips but probably less than 50% in total. Plus ofcourse nav lights.
Yes, that's what I thought. If this was the actual law, hardly anybody would ever pass a ramp check (and, since you can't even taxi without the required lights, I guess traffic would just stop. I hope the 737 behind me doesn't mind too much).

The CAR does say "unless CASA otherwise directs..." very frequently, so it's quite possible that elsewhere they do direct users to fit different lights. Where? How is anyone meant to find that? The only other place I can see that would be relevant is CAO 20.18 (minimum equipment), but that doesn't really say much (it says that IFR aircraft must have the equipment specified in CAR 196, but it doesn't say that VFR aircraft don't need to have that).

I also found it interesting that CASA explicitly says that anti-collision lights must be displayed in conditions of poor visibility. Piper (in the PA-28 POH) and Cessna (in the C172 POH) both state that the beacon should NOT be used in cloud...

I could find no mention of exterior lighting in the Bob Tait BAK and PPL books, nor in the Aviation Theory Centre IFR book (I checked in these on the basis that they might point me to the relevant CAR/CASR/CAO section). I wonder whether that means that they're as confused as I am.

It feels like it should be fairly straightforward for CASA to create a website/app where you put in your aircraft and route details (eg. "I have a Cessna 206, I want to fly it privately in IFR conditions from Bankstown to Camden with four people onboard") and it tells you exactly what you need. What equipment, what endorsements, what renewals and what timeframes those have, what medical certificate, how much excess fuel, etc - with references to the relevant sections of the official regulations. That would be clear and concise.

Last edited by Slatye; 27th Mar 2019 at 09:53.