PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2019, 09:03
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ferry pilot
Here is a thought perhaps worth repeating. A while back, pilots had the idea they were the last link in the safety chain, and someone else’s accident was a gift you could not turn away from, especially if it was fairly recent and an airplane you were flying. You only had to ask yourself two questions. First, what can I do to keep that from happening to me, and second, what else can I do to keep that from happening to me? There is more to it no doubt, as we will see when the facts are all out.
Dear Ferry pilot
thats exactly how it works. We used to read every incident in minute detail and ask” what would I have done”. Dozens every month. You can’t learn nowadays from your own experience because planes rarely go wrong so you have to listen to the rest of the industry. When I started we suffered dozens of real failures including engines every year and learned that way. Not now. But we are and always will be the last link. Think uncontainable fire after takeoff. You can get a 747 back on the ground in five minutes with no checklists at all. None
Y