PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2019, 08:53
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“40 SECONDS TO DISASTER- DAILY MAIL
Not sure where this 40 seconds to disaster is coming from. Apologies if it’s obvious but can’t see it. DID not the subject flight fly for ten min. Plus constantly trimming back in increments but not enough to overcome the trimming forward. Like losing a tug of war where other team gains an inch each time.
If they mean 40 seconds if you did nothing ok, I get that. But you are not going to do nothing. If at any time a pilot on any flight thought he was losing the battle against a STAB TRIM running nose down inexorably which must lead to losing control eventually, there are two stitches called STAB OFF. It occurs to me that if it wasn’t pointed out in training what these switches actually do (cut all power to the stab trim motor) as in THESE ARE YOUR LIFELINE if all else fails (as we were taught) - the “Jesus “switches , then is there a clue here. In other words rather than knowing what every switch on the plane actually does even if you have never run a particular QRH drill on it, if we imagine that you only go to a switch when directed by a checklist and by rote switch it ON/OFF without really knowing it’s function - well that is not a good road. These are all “if,s “ of course.
i remember hearing first hand of a flight where the yaw damper went ape and started doing the opposite of what it was meant to do. The plane flew in violent Dutch roll for a couple of hours because the captain would not switch off the yaw damper despite verbal efforts from the co pilot to do so, because he didn’t really know how it worked and of course there was no QRH drill for “ plane flying crazy and looks like it’s going to turn over “. So a skill called “airmanship” was needed. And you don’t get that from an IPad.
Just a thought that I had not considered because it’s four years since I’ve seen type rating course being run and I’m wondering if they are getting into the realms of minimalist information on some assumption that “ you are never going to need to know that”. Because the plane knows best.

Y