PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2019, 23:37
ktcanuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meleagertoo
I rather agree with you TFX, a previous LionAir crew recognised the root-cause of their problem and selected STAB TRIM CUTOFF switches to CUTOFF so the problem is far from dififcult to identify. Indeed they later took several other NNC measures that seem, on the face of it, to be rational and sensible. Thus they identified the threat, if not the cause which in this case is largely irrelevent. But what scares the crap out of me they soon selected the electric trim back on! That isn't the way of a professional crew. They soon selected it back off again, thank God, when the trim runaway re-occurred but then inexplicably continued the flight in manual control(no a/p) and manual trim with the stick shaker running continuously! These are fundamental aberrations of simply unbelieveable proportion and something no normal Professional pilot would consider doing for a moment. Lion Air's crew attitude and operating standards must surely take a massive hit from these appalling errors. It isn't good enough to hide behind thecompany's shameful, disgraceful shoulder-sloping repetition of the wet excuse that "nowhere in these checks did they say to land at the nearest suitable airport." That is an utterlt disgraceful way for a company with sloppy procedures to try to shift blame onto Boeing's manuals and thus demonstrates a company culture of blissful unawareness of normal Professional procedures, airm*****ip (Oh bugger! I nearly swore again!) I mean cheesy excuses for blind unthinking magenta-line following and no apparent command presence at all.

One has to wonder whether LionAir should have been let off the EU banned list so soon...

Boeing may have made errors in their systems design but the more I read the more I see how appallingly badly LionAir crews mishandled the accident flight and those that preceeded it whilst having all the means at hand to prevent the disaster.
Your point is not lost. But I am drawn to the testimony given by an American (nationality, not airline) Max crew who, on their first flight, found that they did not understand the meaning of certain unique indications provided by the Max but flew anyway whilst they tried to find out what they meant from their company. That doesn't seem like solid airman-ship either to me.