PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can an international student find an flight instructor job with PSGW visa ?
Old 25th Mar 2019, 13:35
Takira101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by +TSRA
Neither does Geology, Nuclear Physics, Law, or Bio-engineering but I've flown with pilots with all those degrees. I would argue that a degree in Political Science would actually do a pilot in an airline quite well considering that most airlines are unionized, and that pilot could help their confrère. Art History might help the person visualize a training program differently, enabling that person to make a better product for the pilot group. Lesbian dance theory - maybe the person is better able to think outside the box so makes a great sim instructor? I'm pulling at that last one, I admit.

airlines desire for a degree is merely a rationing device. It permits that airline to limit the pool of applicants from thousands to hundreds. The airlines never really cared what degree an applicant had, just as long as they had one. That's why the posts always read "a three or four-year degree" vice "a degree in the sciences or mathematics."

You make a good point which I do not disagree with. However, you may be misunderstanding the point I was trying to make. I never meant to imply that going to university is not beneficial.
I have no doubt that studying political science, art history, even lesbian dance theory (I made this one up) or any other subject can be of benefit toward anything you do. As you argue that these subjects can help a person visualize a training program, think outside the box, etc., I would counter by pointing out, and I am sure you agree, that such abilities can be learned anywhere in life, and are not limited to university education.
There are people who argue that universities today do not teach marketable skills, and are rather more for the credentials. A person who went to Harvard must be smarter than someone who went to community collage, right? In fact, I know a guy who dropped out of music school and is very successful. There are also Harvard graduates who are homeless or in jail. However, I don’t want to stray off of the original topic. This may a subject for a different forum.

My reason for writing what I did was to give encouragement to people who want to become a pilot but do not have a degree. I have flown with masters degree holders as well a high school diploma holders. Not having a degree will not prevent anyone from having a successfull career in aviation. However, in the interest of keeping it real, I also admit that having a few thousand hours total time together with a university degree is definately better than no degree, as there are airlines out there that, as you said, use credentials to narrow the field. However, I encourage anyone reading this to NOT let not having a degree discourage them from moving forward. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Takira101; 25th Mar 2019 at 13:55.