PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2019, 11:32
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GordonR_Cape
Lena.Kiev

Boeing showed a few pilots how a functioning MCAS operates, and how the trim cutouts work. I assume they did not show AOA disagree, stick shaker and stall warning at the same time? Does anyone feel reassured by this demonstration, given all the issues discussed in this thread?
What a lot of strange responses. From the article above (my highlights)

At the gathering, pilots from the three American carriers, plus two smaller non-US airlines, ran simulated flights designed to mimic the situation that brought down the Lion Air flight in Indonesia last year, using the current and updated software, according to the person briefed on the session.
That seems to mean they would have had AoA disagree and that would give all the symptoms of stick shaker etc. The 'simulators' are not training simulators they are engineering test simulators with actual operational avionics. What would you expect Boeing to do? They had said that the problem with MCAS and AoA disagree could be handled by running the runaway trim NNC. So they had pilots in the simulators with the same effects show that it was correct and that the runaway trim NNC with Stab Trim cut out switched to off, stopped MCAS. Then repeat with new software and show problems do not occur and/or have become easier to solve.

They have a lot of confidence rebuilding to do. It would seem there is a lot of hostility too.