PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 12:18
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
To be fair, I am not sure exactly what I would have done in the first two minutes of the 610 scenario. I would not have thought the trim system was my main problem. If my wheel electric switch kept working, I would have kept going and prolly slowed down once flaps were up. ...
I know you aren’t a 737 pilot, but this is prolly what an appropriately trained 737 pilot would have done:

First problem: Stick shaker on rotate: fly the aircraft, probably reducing pitch attitude initially, but not into the ground. Assessing performance would quickly identify nuisance stick shaker. Hold an appropriate pitch attitude while moving onto second problem.

Second problem: IAS disagree. Apply Airspeed Unreliable memory items. Autopilot/Autothrottle/Flight-Directors OFF. Set pitch and thrust 10deg/80% N1. Fly the aircraft to a safe altitude and hold that pitch and thrust until completing the checklist by reference to the QRH, which would have had them identify the correct IAS indicator (no.2) and engage autopilot B, and return to land.

If they’ had done this, the flaps would never have come up, MCAS would never have activated, and we probably still wouldn’t even know it exists!