PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A DC-9-32 weight and loading chart. How to find the CG in % of MAC?
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 10:54
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
What I am looking for in this document's charts is the center of gravity position limits as percentages of MAC

The chart presumably is part of a system with some tabular data to figure the numbers and then the data is applied to the chart. In general, a more complicated and error prone system than is optimal.

Observations -

(a) the datum is poorly chosen and is further forward than most designers would select.

(b) the chart is perfectly conventional in that the scales are gross weight against moment (index units). Given any two of weight, CG, and moment, the third quantity is calculated readily.

(c) the stab trim setting grid overlay is the MAC (ie CG) data you are after, albeit that it has been scaled directly to stab trim setting (which is why the line pilot wants to know the MAC, not for the MAC itself). However it is, nonetheless, the MAC grid. The AFM/WBM will have (a) chart(s) which give you the relationship between MAC and stab setting. I have plenty of background with the -33F but not this model so I can't help out with the specific data required there.

Caveat I don't have any -32 data to hand so I am making standard assumptions. If/when I get some data, some of the detail may need to change a little