PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 04:02
FCeng84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Takwis
Several times over the last few days, people have reached the conclusion that with full nose down trim on the stabilizer, there is not enough elevator authority to overcome the trim condition. This Reuters article repeats that idea. I just searched my manual, and in the section on loss of electric trim, the statement is made that:
"NOTE: Elevator Control is sufficient to safely land the aircraft regardless of stabilizer position." Is that difference in control available due to blowdown on the elevator at high speed, or some other reason, or simply not true?
I believe that manual statement refers to the design criteria that continued safe flight and landing must be possible with the horizontal stabilizer frozen in any normally encountered position. The key here is “normally encountered”. This statement does not imply that it will be possible to safely land after running the stabilizer all the way to one end of its travel. Another key part of being able to safely return and land is not accelerating and cleaning up flaps with a frozen stabilizer.