PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs In Oz
Thread: Jobs In Oz
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2003, 07:01
bateman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinhead,

You have to keep in mind that NO airline in australia will accept your application until you have 500 hours Multi Engine Command. (NOT ICUS!!). Till you have this, you can forget about any turbine/jet job in australia.

There is a provision in the Australian CAO's which states that you cannot be a captain of an RPT operation until you have 500 hours MEC. Thus no airline will employ you without it.

Mr Hat is correct. Contacts will be just as important as jet time. Nepotism is rife in australia.

The good news is that CASA (the aussie CAA), will accept your ATPL for transfer with a minimum of hassle, as well as any type ratings. The CASA website is very good and has a section on converting foreign licences.

Personally, if you really want to live out there (and I can understand, since I cry myself to sleep once a week thinking about it), then do it.

Go out there and work the CV's. If you dont have the 500 MEC, then it will be a problem, but given your time, and a bit of patience, you should be able to pick up a piston twin job. Once you have the 500 MEC, you will have no problem getting into a regional, or jet with VB/QF.

If you do, best of luck.

bate