View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2019, 14:41
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infrequentflyer789
One wonders if this means that:

a) the sim doesn't include an erroneous MCAS failure scenario
b) the sim doesn't include any failure scenario that would trigger MCAS
c) the sim does not correctly model MCAS activation given e.g. an ADIRU failure or AOA failure
or
d) the sim does not implement MCAS at all, and therefore does not correctly model handling at high AOA

Is there actually any sim anywhere that you could train on for MCAS failures/ erroneous activation (outside of Boeing engineering sims) ?
I cannot say definitively, but the latest simulators generally use the SAME software load, delivered as a binary, as the aircraft.

Since MCAS is 'contained' within the FMC, I have no reason to doubt that MCAS would be implemented within the binary and therefore available to be trained.

However, whether there is a specific malfunction for "AOA sensor failed high" is another question. Somewhere I may have a malfunction list from a recent simulator, but that would take some time and effort to dig up.

However, be aware, there are only five (5) 737MAX FFS simulators in the world operating currently (4 with Boeing Flight Services and 1 with Air Canada).

- GY

P.S. And to be clear, Ethiopian DOES NOT own a 737MAX FFS simulator. See: https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/EA...aining-Schools