PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2019, 13:24
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maninthebar
That would be even worse then! You could train for x failure after take off and then when you ACTUALLY encounter x something quite different happens and the procedure you used successfully in the SIM winds up killing you.

Whose responsibility would the sim software be?
While I understand the concern 'all' MCAS does is trim down - yes successively and yes intermittently. But the net effect is that the aircraft automatics for some reason are giving me aggressive nose down trim when I am VMC and can see I am at a reasonable speed with engines at normal power and reasonable pitch. NNC for 'runaway' trim says switch off Stab Trim with cut out switches. So do that. ALL I want to do is stop the (&(#%Q!!! trimming down the cut out switches do that - do I really say ahh but it isn't _runaway_ its just trimming down every few seconds??

It is obvious that the designers believed that any pilot with stab trim repeatedly trimming in a way that was hazardous would switch it off. It is apparent that some (even some on here) will not switch the stab trim off as the NNC says runaway and that's not runa.... etc etc. All the way to the ground. Perhaps if the NNC had said (for the pedants) "repeated or continuous uncommanded trimming in one direction" then the Max8 may still have been flying.