PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2019, 09:24
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Fizz57
But you're not left with a Cessna - the 737's (the later ones at least) do not meet certification requirements with the bells and whistles turned off. That's why they were put in in the first place.
I think I am one of the few on this forum who has flown the real 737, not a sim. - later variants up to the -800 still in production (pre MAX obviously ) with pretty much everything turned off except the battery.
No hydraulics. No AC power. No anything but me and some 12mm wire joining me to the controls. And yes, I still have the STAB because is is trimmed MANUALLY!
I don't get your comment "not certified". A 737 can fly with no computers or indeed no pretty much anything working, and this is demanded on the FAA test flights which I have conducted to make sure it works. If this has changed on the MAX then that is something to ponder most seriously. But I doubt it.
So as a previous thread says" PITCH& POWER" and that is the key. If you fly 6 nose up and 60% power you can fly all day and it will not crash. Well, until you run out of fuel. That gives you loads of time to sort out all the other stuff going on. If you suffer total loss of airspeeds, multiple stick shakers, one airspeed saying 500 and the other saying zero and lots of horrible noises and verbal alerts going on - how do you decide which is right and which is wrong?. [Not sure it was a anything like as bad as this on these two by the way, but that is the worst case]. You level the wings, 6 deg pitch and set the power midway. Calm is restored. Switch off the offending systems. Fly manually. Re-engage any working automatics.

Cheers and thanks for the chat folks
Yanrair

I have been finding it hard going, we all have, with the to and fro of highly complex technical jargon and solutions. The solution is to fly the plane. If AF 744 had done this, and many many others, we would have had far fewer accidents.
Are modern pilots good enough to do this? Well, I have a view on that.

By the way there is another theme here on this topic. That everything needs to be automated out. What about landing in 60 knots of wind with bad turbulence in 300 metres visibility and 200 foot cloud base in pouring rain? That is a challenge and is done manually every time, since no autopilot can get anywhere near dealing with the complexity of such conditions and the endless permutations required to achieve a safe touchdown. Windshear Go Arounds are manual. Get it wrong and we are in God's Parlour. GPWS terrain impact avoidance is flown manually using the stick shakers to fly right into the stall, but not beyond, to safety fly over the obstacle.
There are so many of these we can't deal with them now but one thing they are not is automated.
Yanrair