PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2019, 03:16
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
That doesn't suit pedantic test pilots, they want a smoothly increasing pull force all the way to the break.
It's not suiting pedantic test pilots, they're just doing their job, it's a regulatory requirement, which you may read here:

FAR Part 25 Sec. 25.173 effective as of 02/01/1965

so why aren't we back in the air?
Because the test pilots will require a demonstration of compliance with the above, and robustness of any systems which supplement that. I think they're going to be thorough!

I'm also imagining a review of (my bold):

Sec. 25.1309

[Equipment, systems, and installations.]

(a) The equipment, systems, and installations whose functioning is required by this subchapter, must be designed to ensure that they perform their intended functions under any foreseeable operating condition.
(b) The airplane systems and associated components, considered separately and in relation to other systems, must be designed so that--
(1) The occurrence of any failure condition which would prevent the continued safe flight and landing of the airplane is extremely improbable, and
[(2) The occurrence of any other failure condition which would reduce the capability of the airplane or the ability of the crew to cope with adverse operating conditions is improbable.
(c) Warning information must be provided to alert the crew to unsafe system operating conditions, and to enable them to take appropriate corrective action. Systems, controls, and associated monitoring and warning means must be designed to minimize crew errors which could create additional hazards.