PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2019, 21:58
deltafox44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerosene
Suppose MCAS becomes unavailable during flight e.g. due to Stab trim deactivation. The MAX’s flight characteristics in approach to stall scenarios proved not certifiable without MCAS as a fix. I’d like to ask the ones in the know (FcEng and others) how critical the loss of MCAS in flight would be in real life. For example, encountering a flight upset with approach to stall, how easily can this be recovered without MCAS? How was the risk of such an event assessed? Was it demonstrated in test flights? Why was it determined there would be no need to train flight crews on the simulator for the changed handling outside the certification parameters?

In a previous post I assumed such a scenario to be critcal, but perhaps it isn’t? Thanking you in advance for shedding light on this issue.
Good question. I fear there will be no answer until there is another crash due to this configuration (stab trim switched off)

Not only MCAS would be missing, also STS and electric trim, everything would have to be done manually by the trim wheel and a good amount of sweat...

Last edited by deltafox44; 20th Mar 2019 at 22:52. Reason: clarity