PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB Report on Tiger Moth stall/spin fatal accident
Old 20th Mar 2019, 18:29
roundsounds

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Judd
That was the correct procedure taught at RAAF flying training schools in the 1950's. However there was nothing about crosswinds and associated slat use in the Pilots Notes for the type. Methinks it sounds like someone's personal opinion rather than the manufacturer's recommended procedure? .
You are correct the RAAF pilot notes state slats are to be unlocked for takeoff and landing. However the aircraft were never operated on sealed runways and were fitted with tail skids and had no brakes, this resulted in them being very limited in any crosswind. The Tigers I flew commercially all had brakes and tailwheels and often flown in crosswinds at the limit. After a few near wing tip scrapes during early takeoff roll / late landing roll, I found locking the slats reduced the tendency to lift a wing. Part of my Tiger pre takeoff and landing checks involves considering slats locked / unlocked based on observed crosswind.