PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Concorde thread (Don't start a separate one!)
Old 27th Oct 2003, 03:44
jrbt
lunasynchronous orbiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle et al. - I have heard a rumor of Concorde inbound to JFK Monday Oct-27, but not yet confirmed.

Some of the news articles say BA is still looking into whether to keep at least one Concorde flyworthy for special events. I haven't seen any denials of that in the news. But hasn't it been explained in various PPRuNe forums why that is ruled out? Can anyone shed light - is it true BA is still considering it?

Anyway, if there is a possibility of keeping at least one flyworthy (something British engineering could do without Airbus support...right? ), then wouldn't it make sense to keep a few in or near Heathrow instead of shipping them to oblivion, er, I mean, museums? Ask a few people whether they'd rather be able to pick among five birds in museums in various places, vs. a single one actually flying on, admittedly, rare occasions, and we all know what the preference is going to be!

If one Concorde flies on special occasions with crew only, then all the engineering and safety parameters are somewhat more lenient, aren't they, since no pax. Correct me if I'm wrong. For air shows, etc., it doesn't even have to be able to fly supersonic or its full range.