PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2019, 22:51
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On previous models opposing stab movement with yoke automatically jammed the stab and stopped it moving. Consider... Much more dangerous than MACS is a fault called runaway stabiliser where the STAB runs out of control until it hits the stops and we all say the Lord’s Prayer and goodbye.Except that this is not what happens. Pilot sees /senses/feels/ hears (it’s loud) stab runaway and counteracts initially with control yoke , THUS STOPPING THE STAB , MOVING. Then , applies opposite stab trim , and finally if none of this succeeds, STAB OFF switches. And from years of watching pilots do this NNP procedure they usually get it stopped PDQ. And if it runs a long way out of trim, they trim it back manually. It’s never been a problem. Are you now saying that the trim was permitted due to a tech issue to run so far forward nose down as to result in a vertical dive - AND THERE WAS NOTHING WE COULD DO ABOUT IT? That’s what I’m getting from a lot of this feedback. Have I misunderstood. Because I’ve heard nothing from any source so far to suggest that this plane was unfliable.
Talk tomorrow. It’s late here.
Yanrair