PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2019, 20:35
FCeng84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingchanges
How many of you know what the stab trim range is in normal flight on your type. Might be a good time to pay attention to where your most powerful flight control spends most of its time. I know for our ops, the 800NG lives between 5 and 6 just about all of the time.

If the jet is doing something you don't want with a flight control, do something about it. I would call it a runaway, you can call it what you want. Yes, the trim moves a lot when hand flying, but it never moves enough to need substantial column input to counter it.
Music to my engineer ears! Let me add that the 737 automatic stabilizer control should never drive your airplane away from trim if you are flying at a steady speed and an AOA well below stick shaker. If it does, take note. Speaking of stick shaker, when that is going on a 737 MAX and the flaps are up and the autopilot is disengaged MCAS is most likely active. MCAS can activate with indicated AOA less than stick shaker, but it has to be close and must be above the AOA for any normal trim condition.