PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2019, 19:05
dozing4dollars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverstrata

Clearly MCAS is not a runnaway trim condition, otherwise we would be reaching for the cut-out switches every time the speed-trim operated. I think some people here do not realise that the trimmer doing its own thing is operations normal.

And the auro-trim systems are always mis-trimming the aircraft (the trim inputs by the speed-trim system are always wrong, and you always have to re-trim manually). So at what point does ‘operations normal’ become ‘operations abnormal’? At what point do you assume that the trimmer has gone awry..??

Silver
I haven’t flown a 73 but on the 72 (if I recall correctly) during a runaway, the first instinctual response was to apose the runaway with opposite elevator. This ingaged the trim brake. The noise of the brake verses the runaway trim was a giveaway to use the cutout switches.

I don’t think this would happen as the MCAS does not activate the brake. All that sim training on runaway stab wouldn’t help because it’s not a runaway.

The stall horn and stick shaker would make pulling back and trimming nose up counter to all training that a pilot receives from initial stall recovery in a Cessna with a stall horn through to transport aircraft.

Two responses to two different stimulus. One Stall Recovery and one Unreliable Airspeed mask the third undocumented MCAS.

To learn anything from any accident you need to have empathy for those involved. Not just the pilots but the line mechanics, Boeing and FAA engineers. The true villains, senior management, board members and yes, even politicians will never be held accountable

The USA government shutdown that both political parties participated in was also a factor.

... and hence, the voters like you