PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2019, 15:05
Vessbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailvi767
They were at high speed, reducing thrust would have had almost no effect on pitch. It’s done every single day on every airline flight. The stabilizer at high speeds is extremely powerful in control of pitch. Engine thrust is negligible.

Are you aware of the relationship between excess thrust and climb angle? How much do you suppose they had if they hit the ground?
​​​
Pulling the power from takeoff power to cruise power for 250 would not even be noticed. In normal ops maybe 1 click of trim moving the stab .01.
Yet they were so hard up for trim that they hit the ground. So I'm not swayed by an argument that X amount is so little that they should have given it up toward an unimportant goal. Any amount of trim they could use should have obviously gone toward pulling up (which would also have had the effect of slowing down)

I think you are getting confused with recovering from flight near stall with a nose up attitude and high AOA. In that specific situation slamming the power to max will cause the nose to pitch up further because the stabilator has far less control authority.
Again, I'm not talking about the thrust pitch couple. But it we include it, it would only worsen the consequences of your proposed action.