PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2019, 08:47
grusome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croppy, in what was either an inspired piece of programming or else pure coincidence, a couple of days ago in Melbourne AUS the program Air Crash Investigation dealing with the crash of a Brazilian Fokker 100 was shown. To remind you, this happened when, shortly after take-off, the right reverser buckets began cycling, and finally deployed permanently. The crews lack of understanding of what was happening resulted in the aircraft diving into the ground. The initial cause was, as I recall, the failure of a ground-sensing micro. The back up safety system installed by Fokker automatically retarded the thrust lever, but the FO over-rode that using brute force, thus creating a situation of full forward thrust on the left, and full reverse on the right. The point of raising this incident is to highlight the fact that Fokker decided not to either inform, nor train crews in the system, apparently on the grounds that the probability of failure was extremely low. NTSB became involved and severely criticised the manufacturer's authority in this area, and also the FAA failure to mandate training. It wasn't clear to me whether the FAA even knew about this particular system. I don't think NTSB is currently involved with the MAX investigations, but nevertheless are aware of historic and similar failures of the regulatory authority. It should be clear to people that self-regulation will always lead to cost cutting and ultimately accidents. Spoiler - I am a retired regulator.