PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2019, 22:17
MemberBerry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteinarN
I saw the video. I stopped counting the passes after a couple seconds as it was way to difficult. So I looked at the other things going on, saw the gorilla immediately. But then I knew it was a trick video.

But, I must say, if anyone trying his best to count the passes couldnt see the gorilla, then I think the expectatations on what a cockpit crew are able to do in a high stress situation with a lot of stuff going on in the cockpit has to be signifcantly decreased.
Scary indeed.
The funny thing is I knew there was a gorilla in the video, because I saw that video in the past, but I followed the instruction to watch very carefully the ball exchanges, and I did that to the best of my ability, so I missed the gorilla I knew was there.

I didn't even believe I missed it after the video replayed the sequence. I thought that replay may have been faked, and I had to manually replay the video to convince me that there indeed was one, and I actually missed it.

So it's perhaps not surprising that the Ethiopian crew, even if they knew about the MCAS gorilla and how it can be disabled, still missed it, if they were focused on following other procedures and checklists to the letter.

Humans are not good at multitasking, especially when dealing with stuff that is not ingrained as muscle memory.

And if it takes only two MCAS cycles to bring the stabilizer to full nose down trim, it means this aircraft is capable to configure itself to kill you in less than a minute when the AoA sensor fails. I wouldn't want to fly such a plane, even if procedures that can prevent that from happening exist.

The FAA certification process needs to be overhauled so that this can't happen again in the future. In my opinion the FAA and Boeing bear together 90% of the responsibility for killing those people.

I found especially disgusting the way Boeing kept implying the pilots were at fault after the Lion Air accident and that the aircraft is perfectly safe, and how after the second accident the FAA kept saying the aircraft was safe and doesn't need to be grounded, when everyone else all over the world started grounding them.

I mean, everyone can make mistakes, Boeing, the FAA, the pilots, the airlines. Not admitting to those mistakes when they become obvious disgusts me.