PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2019, 20:36
dakarman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, another question from SLF and PPL, hope you dont mind.
I have followed this thread from the beginning and only seen this question asked once with no definitive replies.
How many other 'patches' are there on aircraft such as the MAX or that matter any aircraft from any manufacturer (particularly old designs dragged into the modern age to avoid complex certification) waiting in the background to cause future problems?
Does the situation with Boeing and the MAX possibly require a detailed review of all other aircraft system updates and work arounds to see if another similar issue is waiting in the background for exceptional circumstances?
One would like to think not but this thread indicates this is possible.
I propose this scenario (from insufficient technical knowledge to know the answer - but just as an example so please don't jump on me too hard). The Weight on Wheels sensor. Does it have multiple redundancy? Does it have one sensor each UC feeding one pilots computer and if so does it have a cross check system? What happens in the event of a sensor failure? I am only using this as an example as it springs to mind. No doubt hundreds of other possibilities exist.
If you lock all the toilet doors simultaneously, does the pilots coffee machine stop working?

Finally another small question, how strong is the drive motor on the auto trim on the MAX or similar? Could you stall it out by grabbing the spinning trim wheel or will it try and take your fingers off?