PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2019, 10:00
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by compressor stall
Extra crew training is just keeping a link in the chain.

A modern civil airliner should be designed not to rely on the flight crew having to adopt non standard (unique?) piloting techniques to counter a faulty bandaid put there to mask inherent aerodynamic flaws.
Well that is just the point. Uncommanded/runaway trim has had the same procedure since the first 737 - switch the stab trim switches off and those have also been in the same place. So this was a totally standard response to a potential error.

I have some sympathy with Reamer's responses here. The expectation is that a professional pilot will be trimming and sensing trim as second nature as a 'muscle memory' regardless of other things happening, Rather like you expect a car driver to carry on steering, It is further expected that if the trim starts annoyingly trimming against the pilot that the pilot will rapidly identify this and follow the decades old standard procedure and switch stab trim off and not wait until the nose down trim was requiring significant force. After the Lion Air crash this decades old standard procedure was put out in a directive to all Max operators. So now who of them could claim that this was an unexpected procedure? Well all those that don't bother to keep up with the directives - I would have thought that there would be some kind of sign off procedure in each airline requiring all Max pilots to sign as having read the directives which just refreshed the existing standard procedure ensuring/reminding crews that uncommanded nose down trim should be stopped by using the standard runaway trim procedure. Apparently not.